Thursday, March 3, 2016

Photos

I've seen some amazing photos of East Hampton posted on Facebook lately. I'm not sure what it is about this time of the year, but it is producing some wonderful pictures.

One day this past week I took some myself, and I think it was the color of the sky that grabbed my attention. It was such an intense blue, with not a cloud in sight-very striking for a winter day.

But the landscapes are also beautiful in their starkness and simplicity. Without the leaves on the trees or the bright green grass, with no heavy hedges hiding the houses, it seems as though the world has opened up to us, and we see things we don't in the months of floral fullness. We can peek through the branches and the sky is bigger than ever. Buildings stand out more clearly without the softening effect of full landscaping. And we enjoy the openness of the yards and fields.

Even the ocean has been providing some spectacular scenery, often wild and foamy and always very beautiful.

Winter is a special time here on the East End, and although Edie Beale bemoaned spending "another winter in a summer town" in the musical "Gray Gardens", I personally love it here right now. It's quiet, it's peaceful, it's slow, and it's beautiful. It's community.

No comments: