Thursday, March 17, 2016

More

After yesterday's blog about St. Patrick's Day I was amused to see numerous posts on Facebook this morning from mothers frustrate about how
much hoopla accompanies the holiday these days. Apparently things have changed even more since my kids were young and they simply wanted to wear green on March 17th. Today they have leprechaun visits and parties and it's taken on the same ridiculous importance as Halloween.

So I was thinking about this and wondering why suddenly these minor "holidays" (that aren't really holidays) have become so major. And I have a theory. When I was young the schools made a big deal about the religious holidays. Christmas, Hanukkah and Easter were celebrated with hand work and music. But it seems that as we've become a more secular society, our schools are not able to get very excited about these holidays. So in order to fill that gap for our kids and have fun celebrations in school, society has taken these minor days and promoted them to major holidays. I think it's sad.

If St. Patrick's Day has the same weight as Christmas, we've definitely lost something. I mean, not everyone is Irish and yet all the kids are expected to get excited about March 17th. What's the difference?

It's all lost on me. I have no problem with the idea of a child learning about the religious holidays of other religions and ethnic groups. I think we had it in much better perspective a few years ago. Well maybe fifty...

1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...

Maybe a return to our " foundation " is in order, not a popular sentiment at this time. Was a time in America we did celebrate occasions for that holidays' worth not necessarily the mirth ! Take Christmas, it was celebrated for the great gift that we received from our God, now it is about the sales ! Sad indeed