Tuesday, March 1, 2016

March 1st

We've had some beautiful days recently here on the East End and today was one of them.

I left the house without a coat as it was chilly, but not freezing outside at 7am and I knew it would only get warmer.when I got back into town after my volunteer shift at the hospital, I was struck by the beautiful sky and winter landscapes, and decided to take advantage. I went to a local deli and picked up a sandwich and drink and headed first to Main Beach. Clearly I wasn't the only one with the same thought and had to find a space between two other cars in the upper parking lot. Others were there enjoying their own lunches while some folks walked the sand. I spent time there eating and just enjoying the beauty of the surf.

It was so nice out I decided to explore a few of my other favorite winter landscapes and drove over to the other parking lot to check out Hook Pond. There were some type of water fowl swimming in a group but they were too far away to identify.  They looked like some type of black duck - loon like but not as low in the water.

Then I headed back up Ocean Avenue, bearing right onto James Lane. I checked out the swans at Town Pond and then pulled into the driveway at the Gardiner Cottage and mill. From there I could see down the house lot nearly to Hook Pond. With the cottage on one side and the mill on the other, I could almost imagine life before all the auto traffic and noise of modern day life.

After a few minutes I turned back on to James Lane, passing the church, Home Sweet Home, and Mulford Farm before taking a right onto Dunemere. I love driving through the golf course. I decided to take Highway Behind the Pond ( such a strange name for a small country road) and pulled off to check out Hook Pond from the other side now. Again there were ducks swimming along, oblivious to the fact that it's still winter.

It was a short drive from there home but it seemed like returning from a holiday. I had escaped for an hour or so and it felt really good.

No comments: