Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Evening

Its 5:30
pm and there is no sign of night yet. It's barely showing signs of dusk. The world is rather amazing, isn't it? It was only a few weeks ago when it was black outside an hour before this. And next week, after daylight savings time, it will be 8:00 before night falls.

I have mixed feelings about it. I'm sitting here thinking I should be doing something rather than curling up on the sofa, resigned for the night. Yet here I am with my feet up watching TV, settled in and yawning. There's just something about daylight that makes me feel lazy if I'm not busy. It's the same issue that gets me out of bed at the crack of dawn.

So my lazy days are coming. I know I'll be sitting outside soon, but still feeling lazy for burning daylight. I know my ancestors would not have been unproductive as long as the sun was visible. They couldn't afford that. I think we're not so far removed from the days when electricity was not yet available and no one wasted natural light. Summer meant long working hours and winter meant long nights of family time. I rather like the winter for that.

But...there is the sound of the birds early in the morning as compensation. And of course the long summer weekends when no one needs to be tucked in early. Now that's something to look forward to...

1 comment:

Leslie Lim said...

I have found your blogs to be friendly and welcoming. Thanks for making this one. I really enjoy reading and surfing it. Try to visit my site @ www.imarksweb.org

Liam