Thursday, February 18, 2016

School vacation

This week's school vacation has been a special treat for me because I've been able to spend a good portion of it with my five-year-old granddaughter. I'm not sure how working parents manage these days, because school vacations don't always match up with time-off allowed by most work places, and I'm glad to be able to help out in this way when I can. But the real winner at these times is undoubtedly me.

Yesterday she did a lot of errands with me, happily jumping in and out of the car as we stopped at various places to get my morning's list checked off. She never complained-not once-and gladly held my hand as we maneuvered parking lots and streets all around town. She is so full of energy she can wear me out, but it's a happy exhaustion because her zest for life is contagious. She sees the happy side of everything.

There's a saying that's popular with people my age about how grandchildren are the reward of old age. There's another one about them being our reward for not killing our children. And there are probably more with similar sentiments if I took the time to think about it. It all comes down to the same thing and that is that grandchildren are an amazing blessing to those of us who live long enough to know them. My heart aches a little for this grandchild's other grandparents, one of whom died before she was born and the other when she was quite young. I can only hope to live long enough to know all my wonderful grandkids as grown people, but at the very least I've been able to meet each of them and for that I'm incredibly grateful. As I am for this week's one-on-one time with this special little person.

No comments: