Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Memories

I spent a bit of time in the land of nostalgia this afternoon, shuffling through old photographs, choosing appropriate ones to take to Buffalo at the end of this month for my aunt's memorial service. She died in August after spending a few years in a nursing home and when we cleaned her house out a few years ago I'd collected a number of old family photos to bring home. So, with the service coming up at the end of the month, I realized it was time to go through them.

I loved seeing the shots of Mom with her sister as they rode bikes, posed in their Sunday best, or sat in beautiful bridesmaid gowns for a friend's wedding. Their beautiful suits so indicative of the 1940s were striking, and they made a beautiful pair in the bloom of their youth.  Their faces were full of promise.

There were pictures of them side by side in every era-1950s, 1960s, 1990s.....each one with the same faces, but eyes somehow wiser with experience. They were the only children of my grandparents and when she died she was the last of her generation on that side of my family. She lived a good and happy life, but saying goodbye is always sad.

Photos can transport us to another place, make us smile, cry, or laugh, and most definitely help us feel the connection we have with our roots. It was a nice afternoon.

No comments: