Friday, September 25, 2015

Vacations

Although this has not been a vacation in the traditional sense (no service people around to heed my beck and call, no tropical ports of call, no .....well you know what I mean) it has been a vacation from life for me and I feel so much better for it.

I do live a very busy life by choice. I like being busy, contributing to the betterment of my community and family, and making the most of my time on earth. And I enjoy it. But the stresses of that life can become overwhelming at times. Coming here to my daughter's house has truly been a blessing as I realized today I haven't looked at a calendar in a week. I live by my calendar at home. A typical day for me might be a volunteer shift from 7:30 to 9:30 at the hospital, a meeting at 10:00 in East Hampton, a luncheon date at noon, another meeting at 2:00, a couple stops for errands, and a meeting at night. A good part of my week looks like that, with weekends just as bad.

Here I don't even know what day it is half the time. I have to keep asking "Is this Tuesday or Wednesday?" I spend my days eating fabulous lunches out with my daughter amid hours of shopping or relaxing. I go to bed early in her beautiful new guest suite where I have my own bathroom, and the quiet of a retreat house. It's a pretty nice gig.

So I realize that I don't need a cruise to rest my weary mind and escape the demands of life. I simply need to take the time to get out of town. And besides, being with grandchildren is so good for the soul.

No comments: