Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Tuesdays

I love my Tuesday mornings.

For the past 4 1/2 years I've been driving to the hospital every Tuesday morning at 7am for a volunteer shift as an "ambassador". Ambassadors are people who wander around the hospital problem solving and helping where needed. We transport patients in wheelchairs, we make sure waiting rooms are stocked with magazines and tissues, we watch for people who may be lost, or confused, or looking for guidance of some type. I really love it.

My favorite part of it is helping people navigate the hospital, or sitting with people in waiting rooms who are clearly distressed and giving them someone to talk to. It is so gratifying to spend time with someone who clearly just needed someone to be with them. I like to think of us as the human touch - taking someone for coffee, showing them where their loved one's room is, or getting them a cup of coffee.

Sometimes its the simplest thing that touches someone: a smile, an offer of help, a hand on a shoulder. And those are so simple to offer. I love Tuesday mornings.

No comments: