Friday, July 31, 2015

Blue moon

Tonight there will be a "blue moon". That brings back memories to me!

When I was in the 6th grade I remember the class walking over from the elementary school on Church Street to the high school on Newtown Lane to see a band/chorus concert. It was the one they used to do for the school in the afternoon-like a dress rehearsal-before the evening one for parents. I guess the school population was small enough in those days that they could fit the 6th graders in the auditorium as well as the 7-12th students, and figured it was a good way to acclimate us to the school we'd be attending the following year.

In any case, I was a music nerd, so of course I was enamored with everything about the concert, but one thing totally transfixed me. There was this beautiful high school senior who had a gorgeous singing voice. In those days they really dressed for such events and she had on a lovely color-blocked gown with spaghetti straps, one of which kept falling off her shoulder, and she sang a solo that was in Italian. Wow-I was impressed! Then she stepped out again to sing with the jazz band and she did a song I'd never heard before titled "Blue Moon". You know the one-it was popular in the 5Os: "Blue moon, you caught me standing alone...". I imagined a moon the shade of blue, with no idea what the term really meant! Anyway, I was totally bowled over. The song, the voice, the singer (her name was Diane), all perfection to me and just what I aspired to. Some day I would sing with that jazz band, I told myself!

Well I did sing with the high school jazz band eventually, but wasn't as crazy about the song I had to do, and never looked anywhere as pretty or sounded nearly as good as Diane did back when I was in the 6th grade. It was a lot to live up to, that early memory! And when I hear mention of a blue moon, like the one we'll see tonight, it all comes back to me in vivid, technicolor memory. I'll be thinking of Diane tonight when I look up into the sky.

No comments: