Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Daisy

It's hard for me to even fathom this, but today my eldest grandchild turns thirteen.

In two weeks I'll have two grandchildren who are teenagers. And I wonder what that makes me?  Old, I guess. After all, I felt old when my children turned thirteen. Now my grandchildren are teens. What an impossible circumstance that is.

It really is more than the mind can wrap itself around, this whole business of age and time. I remember my mother saying "...but I feel the same as I did when I was twenty....". I didn't understand that then, but I do now. It's always a shock to catch sight of oneself in a reflective surface, like walking along Main Street and seeing yourself in a store window. I think we must mentally brace ourselves for it when we look in the mirror, but when it takes us by surprise, well, in my case I usually wonder who that is looking back at me. It takes a moment for the mind to grasp it all. Here I am, all of twenty-five, walking down the street (looking pretty good), and suddenly there is this old lady with a double chin and wearing clothes two sizes larger than she should be......it's all quite surreal.

But... today is Daisy's day, and I digress. Daisy is becoming a beautiful, tall, elegant young lady right before my eyes. In her I see my own mortality because I know I may not live to see her as a grown woman herself, maybe with a family, a career, or most likely both. But I do see glimpses of her future glory and it warms my heart no end. The only thing better than watching your children grow into wonderful. kind, smart, generous, talented adults is watching your grandchildren do it. And right now I can see the future...

No comments: