Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mom

It's been a busy day, but I can't let Mother's Day pass without at least acknowledging it. Because being a mother is truly the most profound thing about me life.

I had a truly amazing mother. She was kind and generous, loving and selfless, a woman of great faith and great integrity. I was very lucky. So Mother's Day is always a day for me to think about her and reflect on my great fortune.

But now that I am the "matriarch" I also look forward to the descendants I have in my life: my children and grandchildren. I wonder if I am the example to them that she was to me. I pray to model for my granddaughters what a strong woman should be, soft with love and kindness yet tough when necessary, as my mother did for hers. I want to help my grandsons learn how a good partnership works in marriage and what commitment is all about. And I long to impart to my children the hard lessons learned over a lifetime they cannot yet imagine, all of which lies ahead of them.

Being a mother is a lifelong job. We never retire from it and the responsibilities can be heavy on one's heart. But it is without a doubt the most important work we'll ever do.

No comments: