Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Fire

We had a fire on Main Street last week.

Fortunately it's been a long time since we've had a fire in the business district. The last was at the VFW In the 1970s and before that was the Edwards Theater in the early '60s. The restaurant Chez Labbat was destroyed sometime in there too, but I can't remember when exactly.

This fire was in one of our oldest buildings, wood framed and housing a clothing store now but a hardware store when I was growing up. It was in the rear and would never have been discovered early without the fire alarm installed at some point. Had it not been for that, we might have lost a good section of the east side on Main Street. But with modern alarm systems it was caught early and although most of the rear of the building is gone, others were saved.

In prior times it would have been a disaster. As it was, we were lucky. The building, and all those around it, are still with us. A beautiful historic building was preserved. And memories of prior times, when there were no alarm systems, and fire fighting was more difficult business with the simple tools available then, were sparked and shared.

No comments: