Sunday, January 11, 2015

Town Pond

When I heard that they were skating on Town Pond I must say my heart did a little flip flop. I wasn't surprised, because the temperature has been below freezing for nearly a week now, but I hadn't passed to see it so I hadn't thought about the possibility. Skating on Town Pond is magic.

I seems to me that skating is one of natures gifts for living in a cold climate. When I read diaries from East Hampton history there are many references to sleigh rides and skating parties during the long winter months. In some ways it seems as though they actually had more fun in the winter than in the summer. The had sleighing parties and dances and they had no problem having fun even in the coldest months of the year. So when I see skating on Town Pond I am transported back to another era in time and I can imagine my ancestors skating on that pond just as I had when I was young.

We are in for a few more days of very cold weather so I imagine Town Pond is going to be busy. I will be driving by as often as possible.

1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...

Pictures Please, and did the fire dept flood it ?