Saturday, January 10, 2015

Brrrrr

The entire country has been in a deep these past few days and I must say I haven't minded. I know many people hate the cold but I honestly don't. I'd rather put on the layers to warm up as opposed to dealing with the heat that is impossible to escape. But I do not like the wind.

Night before last the wind was howling outside out windows. It was noisy and it sounded pretty hard to get away from, so I was thankfully ensconced in my cozy home and did not venture out into it at all.

By yesterday morning it was still a bit windy but the temperature had risen as well and I bundled up for heading out. But the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day and I honestly didn't care. Once I was at work the snow started to fall and it looked quite beautiful from my office windows. It's January and the weather reflects that fact.

East Hampton is beautiful in the winter. Many of the Christmas lights are still up and they reflect off the bright white precipitation when it gathers on the ground. And every little saltbox house and split rail fence looks like something from the past and I expect to see people walking around in top hats or bonnets and big wool.capes.

It must have been difficult to survive the winters in East Hampton 200 years ago, although diaries from that era refer to sleigh rides and dances that make me think they certainly knew how to feed both body and soul in the coldest months.

I would love to go back and visit sometime.

No comments: