Thursday, November 6, 2014

Vision

I'm thinking a lot about my vision right now. Because of a problem discovered at my visit to the optometrist a couple weeks ago I have to go without my contact lenses for a month. I began this month of torture yesterday and I am miserable.

Because I rarely use glasses, I don't keep them updated. And because I've been wearing contacts for nearly 50 years now, the switch from one to the other is not as easy as it may seem. I cannot see as well with my glasses, so everything is a struggle. Watching TV, using the computer, reading the newspaper - they are all a challenge. Yesterday my eyes hurt from the strain.

I truly hope I don't have to give up my contacts at the end of this exercise because after all these years I would hate to go back there. I hate the way glasses steam up when you open the oven or come in from the cold. I hate feeling so dependent on them to do anything and when your vision is as bad as mine is, you really are that.

Vision is something most people take for granted and even those of us with bad vision are used to being able to have it corrected. Having it taken away makes me realize how blessed we are to be ale to see. Had I been born in the middle ages I would have been greatly handicapped in life.

I always assumed that if I lived long enough, eventually I would have to give up the contact lenses. I hope it isn't now.

No comments: