Sunday, November 23, 2014

Drilling

Today we're having a huge drill for the east end's fire departments and ambulance squads. It's what we can an MCI drill, which stands for Mass Casualty Incident and involved a major event, like a train derailment or a bus accident - something that stretches the limits of the available resources. Since I've been in EMS for twenty-four years now this not my first MCI drill - I've even planned them in the past - but its the first I've done in awhile.

I've always learned things from the drills I've participated in, which is the point of course, but used to surprise me. I used to think "Why am I wasting my time with this? We already know what to do, this is what we've trained for" but learned early on that there is always something to take away from the exercise. Which is of course what makes it all worthwhile.

Because it does take a lot of time and energy, bopping around in heavy turn-out gear with helmets and boots and such. And its not as though I don't have anything else to do with my morning. And I always miss going to church. But just like when I was in the 5th grade and had to do drills for the multiplication tables or spelling, the whole drilling idea has certainly proved its merit. It's going to be an interesting morning.

No comments: