Sunday, April 6, 2014

Public life

One of the most frustrating things about being in public life as an elected official is the assumption some people seem to have that we are clueless. I sometimes wonder why they put us in office in the first place. Is it simply because they don't want to do the job themselves and will put anyone in office who is willing? I mean if I was a dumb as some people seem to think I am not very much would ever get done in our little village.

Interestingly enough they often think we never leave our homes. They feel the need to point out everything they see that they think we don't. I mean, we live here too, right? We drive the same roads, hit the same potholes, experience the same frustrations, and  see the same needs that they do. Of course I don't mind anyone approaching me to see if I've seen something or am aware of something, but once I assure them I have and that I am equally concerned and they still feel the need to take me by the hand or insist I meet them someplace to see what I've already seen, I begin to think they either assume we all lie or never travel their neighborhoods.

The fact of the matter is I constantly drive through every neighborhood in this little place, checking on things and looking for anything untoward. In fact, I sometime notice things before they do. But good luck trying to convince them. I guess I just have to accept the fact that my intelligence and commitment to my job is just not universally acknowledged. What an odd job it is.

No comments: