Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Painting

My husband is painting again. This time its the new office that we are creating out on our sun porch. So far I haven't picked up a brush and it is one of my least favorite jobs. Our styles are quite different so its not a job that lends itself to our doing together.

We've done lots and lots of painting in our 40 years together. Whenever we moved we painted every room in the "new" place. Since we've been in this house long enough to pay off the mortgage I think is safe to say we've painted every room at least 3 times, some as many as 5 or 6.

This sun porch was a rather unattractive (but typical 1950s) green when we moved in. The first time we painted it we used a bold floral wallpaper on one wall and painted the rest the dark blue of the background color. Then when the wallpaper came down we painted it white. Now, although much of the room is white because there are 6 windows and a doorway so lots of trim, the wall area is becoming a color called "bamboo". That sounds like a light brown but I would call it more of a mocha color - not dark brown but not light brown either. Its a nice color and although its not done yet, I already know I'm going to like it. This choice came after I considered nearly every other color no the chart from yellow to raspberry. But in the end the neutral won out. And I like it.

I would love to be able to pick out colors and have someone come in and paint whatever room needs it. It would be done quickly and professionally and that would be exciting. Maybe in my next life

No comments: