Wednesday, April 30, 2014

2014

So far 2014 has not been a great year. I mean the winter was a mean one, but that really didn't bother me so much. But it has been a year of loss and grief and this week yet another blow was struck.

I spent some time at the funeral home in March when my dear friend died and at some point an older woman came to me when she saw my distress and she said "Once you hit your 60s it gets very hard - you keep losing friends and family". I fear those were pretty true words as it seems that this is an age when cancer and cardiac disease begin to take their toll.

Oh I know that the life expectancy these days is somewhere in the 80s. But unfortunately it doesn't happen for everyone. And it seems as though at the moment it is a pipe dream. If these past few months are any indication, few of us will get there. Now I understand my grandmother when she said she was tired of being the last one standing. It gets lonely, she told me. I don't doubt it at all.

No, this has not started out to be a great year, despite the fact that I celebrate a special "heath" anniversary. I think I'm experiencing a bit survivor's guilt. Why me?

There are so many things I want to talk to God about some day....

1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.