Thursday, December 12, 2013

Groceries

Every once in awhile I look at the price of something I'm buying at the grocery store and I'm shocked. I shouldn't be, because I know how much I spend every week on groceries, which considering how few bags I'm carrying is a lot. But occasionally I grab something that I haven't gotten in awhile and when I glance at the sticker I'm taken aback.

Last week it was pecans. I only buy them when I need them for certain cookies, and I always make them at Christmas, so I had to buy some last week. The smallest bag I could get was about $8. WHAT? For some nuts? Where in the world are these pecans coming from, Siberia? Is there a pecan shortage I'm not aware of? Are they now endangered or something? I mean, what is going on?

Well it certainly made me think differently about the cookies I made that afternoon. I'll never again eat one of that particular kind without appreciating how much it would be worth should I sell it at a bakery.  In fact, I may have to invest in a small safe to store them in from now on.

1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...

LOL, I know exactly what you are saying. I work at the grocery store and see these prices all the time ans I'm still in shock. We had put up a display of nuts for the holidays and when I saw the price of them my first comment was, " what, these things grow on trees, don't they ? " Money doesn't !