Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Children

I've been watching grandchildren on Mondays since September now and I'm amused at how memories come back. I'm reminded often of those years when even the simplest of things had to be strategically done, from trips to the bathroom to getting them upstairs for naps. With 14-month-old twins one cannot be left alone while dealing with the other and they're too big for me to carry both at once (I'm not as young as I used to be!). So everything I do is carefully calculated. I had forgotten how hard it was to take bathroom breaks when I had toddlers and when they leave I enjoy the solitude and freedom. Yet I treasure my time with each of them.

Life is a series of contradictions: we love having kids, we love when they leave; we love our houses, we hate keeping them up; we love having food, we hate gaining weight. I could go on and on. But we all know the truth it.



No comments: