Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Social

I've noticed that some of my children seem shocked that we have a social life aside from them. I'm not sure what that means, whether they think we're too old to actually be social or too old to go out at night or what, but I've seen it more than once where they assume we'll be home or not otherwise engaged and are taken aback when we say we have plans.

Which makes me think about my own parents. My parents had a good social life. They entertained often, they belonged to organizations that provided social life, and they were almost always busy on Saturday nights when we were kids. As they got older, that social life did diminish, but still they went out to dinner often and also still entertained. It never occurred to me that they were too old to be out and around and busy with friends. So the idea that I might be considered too old for a social life amuses and confuses me.

Well, so far we still do like to go out with friends and we still have a pretty busy weekend schedule at our house so I think for at least the foreseeable future that will be true. Perhaps if we live to be very elderly that will change. But not yet.

1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...

Well, you know you where born a mother ! Later reborn as a Grandmother ! And Mothers and Grandmothers don't have social lives ! LOL