Saturday, June 8, 2013

Local

People keep encouraging me to shop with PeaPod, which is an online option that delivers groceries to your door. And I keep resisting.

Well, I certainly see the advantages. I love the idea of someone else carrying all those bags into my house for me and I love the idea of browsing the website to think about what we need or want in the way of groceries. But I have reasons for not doing it.

First of all, I was raised in a family that has a business in East Hampton.  My mother did her best to shop locally for everything she could because the feeling was we should support the other local businesses the way we hoped other residents supported ours. Makes sense to me - and since we still own a local business that still holds true.

Then there is the fear that I'll actually spend more money shopping where there are so many options - I avoid large grocery stores for that reason. Impulse buying is one of my great weaknesses.

And at the end of the day when I'm thinking about this issue, I do what I always do in thinking through dilemmas: I ask myself what the end result would be. By that I mean, what would the end result be if everyone shopped for groceries online?  And this is the conclusion I come to: all the local grocery stores would go out of business. Then suppose at the last minute I run out of bread or milk? Or I'm having a dinner party and realize I don't have the spice I need for a certain dish I'm making? And there is no local grocery store to run to for that item that's needed right then and there. Right now I can walk to a grocery store and be home in 10 minutes. Somehow shopping online isn't such a good idea anymore.

1 comment:

Ben Reichart said...

I agree with your thinking and philosophy. Do we really want to sacrifice the local businessman,friends and neighbors for the sake of convenience ? Anything worth having is worth working for, even the groceries !