Friday, March 15, 2013

The Bible

I've been watching the series on the History Channel called "The Bible" and enjoying it very much. I'm a great lover of period dramas of all types, and since I know the Bible stories so well, this is especially inspiring to watch. I find the stories so powerful that they need little in the way of special effects to make them amazing and just seeing them played out with the great scenery and authentic costumes really brings them to life.

I always attended Sunday School as a child growing up - there were no options in my household because Sundays were for Sunday School and church - so I know most of the old testament stories like the back of my hand. Among my favorites: Joseph being sold by his brothers; Daniel being thrown into the lion's den, and of course Noah and the flood. But all of them are wonderful, from David and Goliath to Samson and Delilah, and I find new messages in them each time I read them. Now, seeing them played out on television is a special treat.

It's difficult to imagine the nomadic life of the dessert dwellers who populated the Old Testament, but their faith I understand. It's the same faith that carried me through the difficult times of life and its a faith learned from following their lead. It's an example of standing on the shoulders of giants  so we can see where we are going.

No comments: