Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Second guessing

I've talked in the past about anonymous posting that is prevalent now on various internet sites, and one that is local is Patch. It's a great place to get up-to-date news items and its the first place I go when I want to know where a fire is or why the traffic is stopped on Montauk Highway, for instance.

But here's the problem that frustrates me: people make comments all the time about things they really know nothing about. I mean, you would think that folks would understand that a quick news article cannot possibly include all the details on anything, and that there is often more to know if you really want to understand some things. When I read something I don't think seems quite right, I go into research mode - I start trying to figure out what the whole story is, looking in other places for more detail or even calling someone who I think might know. I would never make a comment on something publicly without having all the facts. And yet, people seem very free to do so. What's that about?

I am often tempted, and sometimes I do try to correct things for the record, but very often I just let them go, assuming that some people are simply happier when they have something to be upset about, whether true or not. So who am I to take away their pleasure?

Well, as a lover of the truth I really do have a hard time with it. I fight it all the time....

No comments: