Monday, November 26, 2012

Holidays

I think the thing I like the most about Thanksgiving is it makes the Christmas holiday last forever. But not too long.

Oh there are some who are really pushing the Christmas thing this year. There were decorations up in the major stores long before Thanksgiving was over. I don't like that because I enjoy savoring each holiday as it comes. And for the most part, there was no sign of Christmas until after last Thursday. But then, POW! Lights came on, garlands appeared, and we even contemplated putting up the Christmas tree. We took all the boxes out of the attic and staged them all in one of the spare bedrooms. We got the tree up and decorated but I probably won't turn on the lights until December 1st. And I can use this week to slowly get the other things out, a little every day. I enjoy the results but I know I'll have to take them all down in less than a month and I hate that part. But - this is always my favorite month of the year.

So now, from Thanksgiving day until New Year's Day we'll be celebrating. People will be smiling, children will be excited, the very term "bustling" was, I think, created for this time of the year. And East Hampton will celebrate with a Santa Parade this weekend, making it official all the way around.


No comments: