Monday, April 23, 2012

Tulips

I actually have a tulip in my garden this year! It's amazing, really, because I thought that the deer had completely destroyed every single one of them over the past few years and I'm not sure how this one survived.

I used to have many bulbs planted and for many years they thrived around my back door. I had crocuses, hyacinths, tulips, daffodils, and grape hyacinths. They are so pretty in the spring and I looked forward to them every year. However, over the past few years the deer have been venturing closer and closer to the house and last spring they not only ate every since flower that appeared, they dug up every single bulb. I had big holes in my garden from the deer eating everything they could find. Except of course the daffodils which they don't like.

So, this year for the first time ever, we had the yard sprayed with deer repellent - first in October and then in March, And now, low and behold, I have two tulips in bloom right outside my door. Apparently one bulb survived somehow, and the deer have found tastier grazing grounds elsewhere. I am so thrilled to see these two blooms, which I checked on every day as they budded and bloomed, expecting some morning to see them eaten down to the ground. So far, so good.

It is a small victory over the deer population, which is so strong here in the village now. But it's a victory nonetheless and I'll take it!

No comments: