Friday, April 20, 2012

Missing

I have grandchildren in Pennsylvania that I haven't seen in three months. It's killing me.

I know I'm luckier than many people in that I'm not across the entire country from them, or in another country altogether. I know there are people who only see their grandkids once or twice a year. So I don't want to complain. But here's the funny thing that happens: the longer you go between visits, the less they think about you. It's not their fault, its a human thing. But I can tell the difference between the week after we've been with them and three months later. I think its an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing.

I also understand it because I remember when my kids went to college. When they first left the grief was intense. As time went on I adjusted to not having them here and it was less stressful as long as I didn't dwell on it! I missed them, but I adjusted to the missing.

We're going to see the kids soon and this summer they'll be here for weeks, so I'm excited to know that soon enough we'll all be together enjoying each other. But I wish they lived here so I could stop in whenever the spirit moved me, whenever I missed them. I wish it weren't such a big deal to spend a few minutes with each one of them. It is what it is, and I'm grateful for the ones I have here, but still, I miss the others.

It's never fun to be far from those we love. But at least with my daughter I can have regular phone conversations and keep connected. It's far more work with kids and any phone time takes effort. I'd much refer to see them in person!

No comments: