Saturday, April 14, 2012

Landscapers

Three times this past week I made trips west on Rt. 27 and every time I was stuck in crazy traffic. First, it was bumper-to-bumper almost the entire way. It was movng so slowly I couldn't believe it - its not the season yet! But every time, I discovered the reason: way in the front of these long lines there were landscaping trucks. They were giant spades, or long flatbeds with gigantic, full-grown trees. And they were traveling at about 35 miles per hour. Sigh!

Twice I experienced another interesting thing: huge trucks backing into driveways and stopping traffic in both directions to do so. One was at a construction site; the other (surprise!) at a nursery. Well, it must be April on the East End...

I am always amazed at people who build out here and then plant completely mature trees and other landscaping, including beautiful sod and huge bushes, trying to look as though their property had been fully developed for at least fifty years. It's status I suppose. I don't get it because I myself took price in planting small saplings and watching them grow, but then they were what I could afford, too.

This I know for sure: right now there is an epidemic of landscaping vehicles on the road. And they are a pain in the you-know-what!

No comments: