Thursday, April 12, 2012

Holidays

I drove to Tanger Outlets with a friend earlier this week and it was so crowded! I was surprised until I realized it was a holiday week so the shoppers were out in droves. It reminded me of a conversation I had with my mother some years ago. It was when my kids were young and in school and I think we were looking forward to a long weekend - perhaps for Columbus Day. In our conversation I mentioned the kids were off Monday and she seemed surprised. She hadn't realized it was a holiday weekend and I was taken aback by that. She explained that since she no longer had kids in school the days off didn't mean as much to her as they had.

Suddenly I am my mother. I know its inevitable and it happens to all of us but I don't feel ready to be my mother yet. But here I am, forgetting about holiday weeks and school vacations, and going to Tanger when the hordes of people are there. Big mistake and boy am I getting old!

Well fortunately we didn't have too many things to do there and we hurried home, but not before stopping at a very crowded Applebee's for lunch. It was nice to get back into my own driveway, away from the hustle and bustle that I normally try very hard to avoid. It was like the first time you go into the village on a Saturday and realize the season has arrived and there will be no more trips like that until at least October! 

1 comment:

Ben said...

spoken like a true Bonacker !
Damn Termites is starting already.