Saturday, April 28, 2012

Acceptance

I think I'm beginning to accept my age now...because everyone else has. I've been the last one to see it I guess. Or else its all about denial!

There's something really insipid about aging! It creeps up on us slowly and suddenly at the very same time! For so many years we go along looking pretty much the same, with a new hairstyle here and there, but no great changes to the way we look. Then we reach a certain age and change begins to be evident. It happens so quickly almost as though time is speeding up. A strange phenomenon to be sure.

For a long time I thought I wasn't showing my age. I saw the small changes and lines here and there, but they didn't seem (to me) to make me look all that much older. Of course, we do fool ourselves easily, don't we? But...its time to embrace my age.

The local IGA has Senior Citizen's Day on Wednesdays and they give anyone over a certain age a 10% discount. I actually try to avoid Wednesdays because the small store is a bit more crowded than usual. But occasionally I forget and stop on for a few items on a Wednesday, and for the past couple years the clerk would look at me and say, almost apologetically, "You don't qualify for the discount do you?" And I would smile and say"Not yet!"

I realized this week that the last three times I stopped there on a Wednesday, they automatically gave me the discount. No questions asked.

Yes, its time to accept my age and celebrate it.....sigh.....

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Yes, I think it's time. I'm still being asked if I qualify for the Senior discount...and I tell them proudly, "oh yes! 9 years ago!" They don't ask as often these days, but it's ok, I don't mind. It is what it is, and you can't change that! Just do what you can to look,feel and BE healthy, and go with the flow!
Last Fall,we had breakfast with an old friend I hadn't seen in more than 20 years. He said, "You don't LOOK 60 yrs old!" I answered, 'that's because I'm not! I'm nearly 64!" LOL