Saturday, January 15, 2011

Winter squad

I never mind answering ambulance calls in the middle of the night as long as they are warranted. I do admit to some begrudging feelings toward the people who call us because they're drunk, or hurt their finger, or have some other minor (sometimes perceived) injury or illness that they need to deal with at 3am, but the people that really need us, I'm happy to help. However, in the winter it becomes a real challenge in terms of getting enough sleep.

Some people are very good at going right back to sleep a soon as they get home from a call. I'm not one of them. I find I'm usually pretty wound up and have to calm my mind for awhile before I can relax enough to go back to sleep. With a normal call lasting about 2 hours, and another 30 minutes or more for the "re-entry phase" (trying to relax one's mind enough to sleep again), that's a big chunk out of one's night and sleep deprivation is often the result. But in the coldest months of the winter - like January and February - there is another issue that gets in my way. I find that after spending a couple hours in the cold I cannot manage to warm up enough to sleep. I come home chilled to the bone and climb into bed where our thick down comforter has been keeping my husband nice and comfy. I slide across to where my beloved is sound asleep (he rarely notices I've been gone) and try to take advantage of the warm side of the bed. But it really doesn't matter because, although the rest of my body warms up within about fifteen minutes, my feet are another matter altogether.

First I curl them up to warm up near my body. Then I try turning the comforter underneath them, folding them into a cozy envelope of flannel, but still they stay cold. Short of getting out of bed and running a warm tub of water I fear there is no solution to this dilemma other than time. Eventually, sometimes an hour after I've climbed back into bed, I drift off to dreamland. But I don't dream of swimming in hot springs or lying in the sun - I dream about walking around in the snow barefooted. I'm not sure the feet every trul warm up after the trauma of a winter ambulance call...

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

How about warm socks from the dryer? Might be your cold feet that are actually keeping you awake. (according to some, you will get sleepy if you're feet are overly warm)