Friday, January 21, 2011

Time machine

I recently watched a movie about time travel that got me thinking about where I'd go if I could travel anywhere in time. It's an interesting thing to think about, with the past known and the future unknown - which direction to go?

There are many times in the past I'd love to visit. Being present for amazing moments in time would be interesting, like the Sermon on the Mount or the parting of the Red Sea. And who wouldn't want to hear Abraham Lincoln give the Gettysburg address or be in Paris for the World's Fair when the Eiffel Tower was built?

And how great would it be to meet your ancestors? I'd like to spend a day with my great-great grandfather as he took care of the Montauk Lighthouse, or even see my parents as children. I'd like to know what went in to life in East Hampton in the 1700s, the 1800s, and maybe the WWII years. There are so many times in the past that would be wonderful to engage in. I even think it would be fun to visit myself as a child and figure out why I turned out the way I did.

The future is not so simple though. Would I want to see the world in 100 years? Will the world still be here in a thousand? I think it might be fun to attend my own funeral - and I'd love to see my grandchildren as adults. But I'm not sure I want to know a whole lot about the long term. Some things are better not known. I'm not sure my great-uncle would love the things I've done with his house, for instance!

A time machine might be fun to have but then again, life in this day and age is pretty interesting just as it is.

2 comments:

Ben said...

To travel in time as a casual observer would indeed be fun. To just observe. I'm quite sure what you saw what not be what you remember.

Kathleen said...

Funny,my 7 yr old granddaughter recently asked us all whether we'd time travel forward or back. I quickly chose 'backward.' I'd love to know my ancestors, see their homes and how they lived. I'd like to revisit my babies. I'm quite content in the 'now' of life. I wouldn't want to see the future. I'll wait for the surprises. But it is an interesting thought to ponder.