Monday, January 24, 2011

Football

It's impossible to get away from football these days. Am I the only person in the world who doesn't get excited about playoffs and super bowls?

I loved football when I was in high school. I attended every game, even the ones in places like Longwood and William Floyd. I knew all the players, all the cheerleaders, and who was injured or being disciplined. I knew them by their numbers and I new them by their names. So its not as though I don't understand the game, because I do. I know how its played, I understand the terminology, and I appreciate a great pass or run as much as the next person. But I just can't get into the whole professional football craze.

To me, there's something silly about thirty-year-old men in shoulder pads and helmets crashing into each other and causing injuries to the most vital of all things in our bodies - our necks and our legs. I love watching a wonderful touchdown run of 30 yards, skilled athletes dodging and darting around a field of opponents. I even love to see a great kicker accomplish a 40 yard field goal to win a close game. But the tackling? Nope. Hate it. Brutal, senseless, and damaging. I just can't handle it.

And then there is the sight of all those grown men in those silly tight pants and high socks. Weird...

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Yes to everything you said...and to add to it, what's even sillier, in my opinion, is what these guys get paid to play games! I'd love to see at least half their salaries used to feed the hungry, house the homeless and/or hurricane victims,help the elderly and children,or maybe even put into health care for those who don't have it. Wasteful spending, in my book.