Thursday, January 20, 2011

6

Two of my grandsons turn 6-years-old in the next days and weeks and I've been thinking about how much I love this age.

Interestingly enough as our children grow we often think we'd like to keep them exactly where they are, making time stand still and freezing them at just the very age they are. As infants they're so precious, real little miracles in our arms - smelling of baby powder and sweet breath. As toddlers they thrill us with their accomplishments, crawling, walking, talking, becoming little people. Then they head off to school and at the ages of 5 and 6 they are funny, smart, cute, and affectionate. It doesn't get any better than that! These little guys are so great and I love them to death.

But holding them at this age would be such a waste. Because then we'd never have the joy of seeing them read their first chapter book, or learning to do their multiplication tables. We wouldn't know the thrill of reading a note that they wrote just for us, an "I love you " message or "I hope you come visit me soon".

And then there are the dreaded teen years when we can find so much joy in their accomplishments again when they garner honors in school, receive accolades through music or sports, and turn into amazing adults right before our eyes.

Each age brings with it amazing and wonderful things and I have treasured every single year of each of my children's lives. And now, they're bringing me grandchildren so I get watch and participate in the miracle all over again. I'm so glad they grew up!

No comments: