Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Spellcheck

OK I'll admit it: I'm a terrible speller.

When we were kids we used to have "spelling bees" in our classes - they probably still do - and I always hated them. I just am not a person who remembers word construction well. I memorized all the words I needed to throughout my school years, but most of them have disappeared from my fragile memory. I do remember all the rules, like "i before e, except after c....." etc, and that assists me in doing a fairly god job of not looking completely illiterate when I write letters. But my biggest asset in life has been "spellcheck".

Before computers I lived with a dictionary close by. I had one in my home office and one at my work space. I referred to those dictionaries pretty regularly, not only to make sure of my spelling but to check word usage as well. I love words, and I love unusual, unique ones that you don't often hear or see in print. So I often use them when writing either for pleasure or business. I think they make things more interesting. And now, with the use of my computer, I can check both things with ease. All I need to do if click a button and all my misspellings are highlighted and correct spellings are offered. Sometimes it makes me smile because my spelling is so convoluted that the computer isn't even sure what I was trying for and gives me 6 or 7 alternatives, hoping at least one of them is the one I was looking for!

Even my blog comes with spellcheck and on the occasion I forget to use it I always find something wrong when I read it after its published. Often those are typos (because I'm an equally poor typist!) but they are also sometimes misspellings that even I can see aren't quite right. I then quickly go back to edit and correct whatever it is that I goofed on.

Computers are real lifesavers for people like me who aren't very good at it. Now - I'm going to spellcheck this piece so I can publish it without shame...

3 comments:

Ben said...

Ditto

Tiger said...

I have always liked this reminder not to rely too heavily on the spell checker:

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers...


Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Kathleen said...

Oh yes, those dreaded spelling bees and tests. I'm usually a good speller, but I do trip over a word here and there..and always have to think when I write definitely (I want to spell it definately) and are there two c's or two s's in occaisionally? I do remember a real faux pas when I was in grade school. A spelling test word was 'shirt'. Guess how it showed up on my page? Yes, without the 'R'! My teacher found it amusing, I found it embarrassing! (ok...is it embarrassing...or embarressing?!)
Love the poem!