Saturday, November 27, 2010

Royalty

Thirty years ago I set my alarm clock for some ungodly hour of the morning and got out of bed to watch TV. I wanted to see every detail of the royal wedding - Price Charles and Princess Diana. I'm already looking forward to the one that will take place this spring.

OK, I admit it. I love the whole royalty thing. I don't know why exactly, but I do. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that my ancestors were from England and I often think about British history as my own. Or maybe its because I'm fascinated by all the pomp and circumstance that goes along with all bit state occasions and I watch Presidential Inaugurations with nearly the same enthusiasm as I do royal weddings. Or, most probably, like all little girls I grew up thinking about how wonderful life would be if I were a princess.

When I was in high school I read all the articles about Prince Charles, who was then a bachelor, and dreamed that perhaps I might be the one to win him over if only I could find a way to meet him. I was already happily married when he found Diana so I was not jealous, but I watched with fascination over the years as she blossomed into a beautiful member of the royal family. I was envious of her life and all that went with her station and I admired her for the way she carried herself.

My son was born within a month of Prince William and I made sure to paste a magazine article about it in the baby book under the "current events" section. My life was again a reflection of hers and I wished I had the ability to buy the beautiful smocked rompers and pleated shirts that she dressed her little one in.

There is a wonderful fascination with royalty - especially British royalty - in this country. I rather think it has to do with our connections to the mother country but maybe its simpler than that. Maybe we just like to escape into that little fantasy world once in awhile. Come spring I'll be watching every minute of that royal wedding, from the moment they leave Buckingham Palace in a grand carriage to the waves from the balcony as they couple greets their subjects as husband and wife. And thanks to the wonder of modern technology, I won't even have to wake up so early to do it. I'll be recording it all on our DVR where I can see the best parts over and over again...

No comments: