Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The other side

Today is my second morning volunteering at Southampton Hospital as an "Ambassador". I can't tell you have wonderful it is to be on the other side of things there!

It will be two years in January that I started my adventures there. It began simply enough with an annual mammogram. For the next year I would spend so many hours at the hospital, having tests, surgery, recovering, and waiting, waiting, waiting. I spent time in each of the waiting rooms on the first floor, just as I had spent time in the waiting rooms on other floors at other times in my life: when first my father and then my husband were in ICU; when grandparents were in rooms that my young children could not enter so I took turns sitting with them while my husband and I visited; waiting for a look at a new niece or nephew, and more recently grandchildren. I've spent time in all those waiting areas. But in 2009 it was all the main floor - radiology, surgery, main entrance - I've become very familiar with all of them.

But now, I'm returning as a warrior to the site of my battle. I waltz around the first floor feeling like a victor and gladly watch for others I can assist in their travels. I take them magazines, offer them a friendly face and smile, and hopefully help them maneuver through the maze of medical tests and stressful moments. I find myself looking forward to the morning despite the drive and the early hour. I'm content and at peace when I walk in the door - no butterflies and no apprehension.

I can't wait to get there.

2 comments:

Ben said...

You are indeed a Conqueror !
Good for you and I am sure those you help appreciate it. Your real reward lies in the next life. :)

Kathleen said...

A Conqueror and an Inspiration! I'm glad to know such a person as you, Barbara!