Thursday, November 11, 2010

Flannel sheets

I put the flannel sheets on the guest beds last weekend. Surely that means winter is coming!

I have to think that flannel sheets are one of the great inventions of modern times. We never had flannel when we were kids and when they first came out about twenty years ago I didn't invest. At that time all my kids were wearing flannel PJs and flannel sheets were expensive, so it took me awhile to invest. But once I did, I was hooked. We've always kept the temperature low in our house and the comfort of those flannel sheets is undeniable. Once they're warmed up with your body heat they just envelope you in luxury. Of course, once they reach a certain age and start pilling they lose some of that luxury, but they're still pretty nice.

My own bed won't get the flannel until the overnight temperatures fall well below freezing. We like a cool room and we keep the windows cracked all winter. So it has to be pretty darn cold to warrant those warm winter coverings. I'd venture a guess that by the end of November they'll be gracing my bed as well as the ones in the guest rooms. No more flannel nightgowns for me - the sheets will do quite nicely and my bed is toasty warm regardless of whether or not the snow is flying.

So the flannel sheets have been put on the guest room beds and I suppose that means time is moving on. Here's to a nice, cozy, flannel-warmed winter.

4 comments:

Ben said...

Flannel Sheets are the best thats' for sure. Can you imagine what it was like to put a bed warmer with hot coals inbetween the blankets !

Kathleen said...

Now here I must disagree. I had my first set of flannel sheets given to me for Christmas by my grandparents before I was eleven years old (that's when Gram died) I liked them then, but after that, I found them difficult to turn over under,pj's sticking almost like velcro to them! LOL... but I do have to admit, they are warm and cozy!

Downhook said...

Oh Kathy-there's a cure for that! I haven't worn pjs in years...
the flannel feels really nice against your skin - try it!

Kathleen said...

Now there's a great suggestion...
;-)