Monday, November 22, 2010

Blue moon and preparations

Last night the moon was beautiful and the sky haunting. A full, bright circle hung high in the sky and the clouds were dark and gray, surrounding it with motion but not covering it - just adding an eerie glow to the night, like something out of a horror movie. But it wasn't frightening, it was beautiful. With the temperature dropping and the night so bright it was a typical November evening.

If one is not well prepare for thanksgiving they may be in trouble. I have my turkey thawing in the refrigerator and the cranberry relish made. I'll get the linens out today and make sure my lists are complete and I haven't forgotten anything. For us it's a small crowd this year. Since we get together with my extended family every Sunday and the number generally falls between 16 and 22, we're used to a big crowd. We won't have more than 9 on Thursday so that's a small group for this house. Three of my children will be out of town with their other families so I'm glad that my brother and his crew will join us, along with my son and his girlfriend. It will be a little sad with no little ones here - all the grand kids will be gone - and of course I'll miss my other children but I've gotten pretty used to sharing them all with their spouses' families.

The temperature outside is finally beginning to feel like the holidays. Up 'til now it's been warm enough to feel like September, but there's no doubt at this point that the holidays are upon us. Driving through the village last night at 7:30, looking at that beautiful blue moon casting its milky glow on all the open yards and rooftops along the way, was like entering into the season of joy. Life is good and at no time are we more aware of our blessings than this week - and the month to follow. It's a great time to be alive, and grateful.

1 comment:

Ben said...

The Christmas decorations are up here in the town of Greensboro. The Christmas parade is on the 6th.
The air is becoming quite crisp indeed. Enjoy Thanksgiving !