Monday, August 23, 2010

Ellen's Run II

Last year as I was recovering from chemo I responded to the urging of my family and put a team together for Ellen's Run. It was a great experience despite the fact that I had no energy and couldn't manage to walk the course myself. I was touched by the fact that my children, who were never big on exercise, participated for me, and had no idea at the time that for one of them it would mean a life-changing day.

My daughter walked with her son and she struggled to get through the three mile walk. When it was over she realized that she was out-of-shape and overweight and didn't want to spend the rest of her life standing on the sidelines. So she made some changes. We began going to the gym together every morning before the sun was up and she changed her eating habits. We both worked on getting healthy as my energy returned and her resolve strengthened. Throughout the winter we worked on our bodies and minds and vowed to make this a different experience this year.

This year we approached Ellen's Run with great anticipation as she's lost nearly 90 lbs and I, 30. Both of us knew we were going to find defining moments at the run this year and we did. Yesterday my daughter ran the 3.1 mile course and I walked it with the energy and strength that we had both worked so hard to achieve. For each of us, crossing the finish line meant something very profound and personal. And I was so proud of her - and so grateful for myself.

Life is to be lived to its fullest. And I think we are doing just that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful post this morning - - and a great photo of your Ellen's Run Team! We're all very proud of you and thankful for your recovery!

RIR

Amanda said...

Thanks Mom...this post made me cry...as I did multiple times yesterday. We have come so far. :)

Downhook said...

Thank you RIR~and Amanda, next year we will both improve our times, and I will be down at least another 30 lbs! Here's to the year ahead and all it holds for us all!

Ben said...

Congratulations to you and your daughter. I have a daughter that was struggling with her weight as well. She had the bariatic procedure and has lost over 120 lbs.
That is wonderful for both of you.

CONGRATULATIONS