Wednesday, August 11, 2010

August angst

Well about this time in the month of August I find myself wishing the final weeks of it away. There are simply too many people on the roads and it's becoming a real nuisance trying to get around. With Labor Day being so late this year it's going to be a real challenge to make it through with good humor and no nervous breakdown.

Everyone has stories by this time - many of them revolving around rude drivers and too much traffic. When I was a kid we always blamed the bad driving on "Jersey drivers" but I know that's not the case. I see as many plates from NY and CT with annoying drivers behind the wheel as from Jersey. I must say there is an inordinate number of cars with Florida plates that seem to be slowing things down though. Perhaps some of our elderly summer residents have a tough time making the transition to our more heavily traveled roads. I've been to Florida and even the cities there don't compare with what we deal with here in August.

August just seems to bring out the worst in people and I really dislike it for that reason alone. Locals are just as guilty as visitors because we're all tired of the mess and anxious to get our space back. Time for everyone to take a deep breath, breath in our wonderful salty air, and smile. Summer is nearly over and the best of life is about to come around. September and October are what I long for all year long!

No comments: