Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring cleaning

We've begun the process of deep cleaning around the house and this house surely needs it.

I've always hated housework. I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind hard work as long as its something I enjoy and in my case that would be artistic and creative things. Housework most definitely does not fall into that category. I know that there are some people who love housework, and I envy them because there's nothing quite as wonderful as a nice clean house. But the combination of my innate laziness and my distaste for the work involved makes a sparkling house a rare occasion here.

The worst thing I ever did was take a job as a chamber maid at a local hotel one summer because I hadn't found employment yet and in my house you had to work when you weren't in school. So a friend and I went to a local hotel on the ocean and were quickly hired to clean the rooms. It was one of the worst jobs ever. For someone like me, who doesn't like cleaning anyway, to now have to clean up after other people (some of whom are disgusting beyond belief) well....it didn't help my already well-established aversion to that type of work. I swore then that when I was living on my own someday I would never have to clean my own toilets - I would hire someone to clean my house for me. Ha! Talk about a pipe dream! I can't even imagine the number of toilets I've cleaned in the forty years since then.

Well, nevertheless, it has to be done and so the spring cleaning has begun. Last week I pulled out the things in the fridge and cleaned the shelves, washed some windows, and did my normal Saturday jobs. This week I'm thinking its time to clean out the home office, (but I'm not sure I can call that a "spring cleaning" job since it needs to be done pretty regularly throughout the year). I'm thinking the woodwork needs washing and the cupboard under my sink could use a scrub. Oh, I'm sure I'll come up with a few things to work on.

Now if I can just come up with some excuse not to do them....

No comments: