Friday, March 26, 2010

Laptops


I really love laptop computers. I wouldn't wanna have to use one exclusively - and I like my regular desk top computer with the printer and nice big monitor - but sometimes, like right now, it's just so nice to be able to sit on my couch, watching tv and blogging at the same time. When we've traveled its been nice to take this laptop along and keep up with my email, and have it handy for reference or to find directions.

Sometimes I wonder what we ever did without our computers. It's amazing how in the course of twenty years we can become so dependent on something that was not even part of our lives not that long ago. When I was in high school we had one black and white television set, two rotary telephones, and a car with no air conditioning. My own children would think they were terribly deprived if they had to contend with any of those things. And a computer in those days was something that filled an entire room in a government building. Surely not a small thing no bigger than a book that I could lay in my lap and use to chat with my grandchildren hundreds of miles away. We truly have come a long, long way in my lifetime.

Now, if they could come up with a folding model that can be stuck in my purse I'd be thrilled. I'm sure that's just a matter of time. (Cell phones are just too small for me for email and such - I need a bigger keyboard for my fat fingers!) My laptop is symbolic of how life has changed in only fifty years. Amazing.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

they do have one of those, it's called an Iphone. :)

Downhook said...

You didn't read carefully enough - I said phones aren't good enough - the keyboards are too small! I want a bigger keyboard than that...

Anonymous said...

dear barbara, we want to acknowledge your letter to santa.
duly noted.... ms claus(e)

Kathleen said...

The do make a smaller lap top type thing...it's got a name, but I don't know what it is!
I've only gotten a cell phone since 3 yrs ago, with a walkie talkie type thing so that we could keep in touch while Mike was on the road. Have a different one now, NEVER use it!

In 1996 I was introduced to a laptop and hated it. I still don't like the little mouse pad, but I'm getting used to it. I prefer the desktop too...but for all the same reasons you mentioned, I've got a laptop!