Saturday, March 20, 2010

Home


Last week I spent a rare day at home. By that I mean, other than a very early morning workout and then a trip to the grocery store at 7:30, I was home for the entire day - no meetings, no errands, no nothing. I tried a new recipe in the crock pot, I did four loads of laundry, I cleaned my house, and I even took some time to begin a new knitting project. It was a wonderful and unusual day at home and I loved it.

Here's what I did during the other days of last week: first thing - work out, shower, dress, grocery store or laundry all before 9am. Then once businesses and stores were opened I left the house to do things like: stop at Village Hall to get mail, sign checks, and meet with various people about different things (one day may be a local census coordinator, the next a drive-around the village with the Superintendent of the Highway Department to talk about planting flowers and unnecessary signs); a stop at the Healthcare Foundation to sign checks and discuss business there; the pharmacy to pick up prescriptions; to CVS for other items; a drop off at the dry cleaners; the UPS store to mail a package; to church to pick up an item for delivery to someone just home from the hospital; a trip to Sag Harbor for things I can only get at the 5&10 there; a stop at a store in the village to get an item for one of the grand kids; lunch with a consultant working at the Historical Society for the week; a stop at my daughters to return items left at my house; a trip to Southampton for a doctor's appointment; etc. etc. and so goes my normal week. I love my job because its flexible and affords me the freedom to do a lot of running around but sometimes I wish I were stuck at a desk somewhere so I could sit for awhile! So my day at home was a treat and I enjoyed it very much.

Our homes can be such a refuge from the craziness of life and even when they themselves make work for us to do we love them. They envelope us with their warmth and protection and they become our buffer to the rest of life. There were times last year, when I going through chemo and felt as though I would never be able to get off the couch, when I longed to get out and be busy again. But even then, I was grateful for my house and the joy of being in it where I could recuperate in peace.

Home truly is where the heart is, and mine is right here, in this house, in East Hampton.

No comments: