Friday, March 19, 2010

Anniversaries

It amazes me when I think that it was exactly one year ago today that I had my surgery for breast cancer. It was a day that I didn't actually experience very much of since I was in surgery for 11 hours, but I do remember so well that walk in to the hospital, hand in hand with my husband, both of us quietly wondering what the long day ahead would hold. There were questions that would be answered and we wanted those asnwers. We were facing our future in a very real way and it was pretty sobering.

In some ways the events of this last year will always be right under the surface in my memory. They are easily pulled to the present and the lessons learned will always be with me.

In other ways it seems as though it was a lifetime ago. Feeling as good as I do now, and to be so confident about the future, is just amazing. I'm so grateful for the friends and family who were such a wonderful support system for me because I know that it was their love, along with God's grace, that got me through. And isn't that always what gets us through the difficult days of life? We all have tough times - and we pretty much all survive them. It's a great thing when we can take lessons away from the hard times - and I've done that. This anniversary will always remind me of the things I learned in the year 2009 - the most important of which is that I have the most amazing people in the world in my life. Now that's something to celebrate!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

You are a better person because of this past year. I am so proud of the journey you've made, how you have held yourself throughout and I love you because of that. I also love you, more importantly, because you are my mom. Looking forward to having you around for a long long time!

Downhook said...

Thank you sweetie! I love you!

Gail said...

Barbara:I've been trying to figure out the connection between you and Judy Wilenski, and now I know. Congratulations on a year. That is a big one! I am a pink ribbon sister too, now seven years. I loved your blog and your thankful heart. We do survive and are better for it. Keep writing!
Gail Tiska Flurry

Downhook said...

How wonderful to hear from you Gail! You come to my mind everytime I drive down Scuttlehole Road and I wonder how you are doing. I had no idea you had gone through your own battle with breast cancer but I'm happy to know you are 7 years out - congratulations. Perhaps we will run into each other at a function soon! Thanks for reading...